Brock baseball celebrates 2012-13 with annual awards banquet
ST. CATHARINES, Ont. - The Brock University baseball team celebrated their 2012-13 season with their annual awards banquet Saturday night.
The Badgers launched a new baseball promo video from Dean Gariepy to kick off the night's festivities. Brock Badgers Baseball from Dean Gariepy on Vimeo.
Next was former Brock two-sport athlete and current UFC Fighter Sean Pierson who presented a great speech to those in attendance. Pierson will fight American Rick Story in the UFC Welterweight division at the upcoming UFC 158 being held at the Bell Centre in Montreal, Quebec March 16, 2013.
Brock then handed out the hardware for the 2012-13 season as they presented 12 different annual team awards.
Congratulations to the following award winners for this past season.
- Andrew Tinnish Award (MVP) - Cameron Graham
- Top Pitcher Award - Justin Ayles
- Top Hitter Award - Evan Baglieri
- Jess Dixon Dedication Award - Ricky Ferri
- Mike Poelman Award - Noah Anderson
- Top Reliever Award - Phil Owen
- Rookie of the Year - Ben Kirby and Jordan Grant
- Gold Glove Award - Nathan Smith
- Most Improved Player Award - Craig Vannus
- Sportsmanship Award - Bill Sloat
- Academic Achievement Award - Chris Anderi
- Kevin Heins Alumni Award - Jeff Gruchy
The night ended with a special presentation from the players, coaching staff and team management to head coach Jeff Lounsbury for his 400 career victories. The team presented Jeff with a commemorative plaque with a collage of coaching photos celebrating his 400 wins.
This past fall, the 17-year bench boss reached the 20 win plateau for the 14th time in school history and recorded his 400th career victory. Lounsbury became just the second coach at a Canadian school to record 400 career wins joining UBC's Terry McKaig.
The Brock baseball program has built a rich "Tradition of Excellence" over the past 18 years as a program capturing two National Championships and three OUA Championships.